033-2555-7656/7675
principal_rgkarmch@rediffmail.com
1, Khsudiram Bose Sarani, Kolkata -700004
033-2555 8618

The Early Years

An attempt to look back into the history of a medical institution is incomplete as long as we do not pay adequate attention to the master mind behind the making of that institution. R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata is not only one of the premiere institutes of modern India but one with a rich heritage too. Brainchild of Dr. Radha Gobinda Kar, it was the first non government medical college in Asia.

Radha Gobinda Kar was born on 23rd August, 1852 to a physician father and a devoted mother, in the district of Howrah. He did his graduation from the famous Bengal Medical College, later known as Medical College, Calcutta. Established in 1835, this was Asia’s oldest medical college. On completing L.M.F. course he went to England and obtained his L.R.C.P. & L.M. degrees from Edinburgh and returned to India in 1886. Being a great visionary, Dr. Kar soon realized that the prevailing colonial culture was a great hindrance for the people at large, to get the benefit of the existing medical schools—both, as students and as patients. This prompted him to sit together with eminent personalities like Dr. Mahendra Nath Banerjee, Dr. Akshay Kumar Datta, Dr. Bipin Maitra, Dr. Kumud Bhattacharya, Dr. M.L.Dey, Dr. B.B. Banerjee & others to discuss over the formation of a new medical school. Accordingly, “The Calcutta School of Medicine” was founded in 1886. To start with, it was in a rented house, at Baithak Khana Road, but soon was shifted to Bowbazar Street—both being locations in central Calcutta. There being no attached hospital, 24 bedded Mayo Hospital was used for teaching the students. Medium of teaching was Bengali and duration of course was 3 years. Donations were collected from all corners of Bengal including the Viceroy’s fund for commemorating the visit of the Royal Prince. In 1898, a 12 Bigha plot of land (about 4 acres) was purchased for constructing the college building at its present site. 30 bedded, single storied hospital building was inaugurated in 1902 by the then Governor, Lord Woodburn and the building was named after the Royal Prince Albert Victor. Subsequently it was converted into a three storied building and can be found in that shape, even today!

In 1904, “The Calcutta School of Medicine” amalgamated with another similar institute “College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bengal”, which was established in 1895. Gradually other buildings were constructed to accommodate various departments in the same premises. Finally “Belgachhia Medical College” was formally inaugurated by Lord Carmichael in the year 1916. The inaugural ceremony was graced by the presence of luminaries like Sir R.N. Mookerjee, Maharaja Manindra Chandra Nandi, Kumar Manindra Chandra Sinha, Mr. D. Mehta, Dr. M.N. Banerjee, Hon’ble Nawab Samsul Huda and Surgeon General Edward. In the same year, Calcutta University gave affiliation for Preliminary Scientific M.B. course and 48 students got admitted. Next year, the affiliation was extended up to first M.B. standard and 100 students were admitted. Finally in 1919, University granted affiliation for final M.B. standard. Unfortunately, Dr. Radha Gobinda Kar could not witness this glorious moment; he passed away on 19th of December, 1918. The then Governor General of Bengal, Lord Carmichael played very important role towards all these developments. As a mark of gratitude, the college was named after him as Carmichael Medical College. In 1921, Lord Ronaldshaw laid the foundation stone of the present surgical building. Anatomy block was constructed in 1926. The first ever Psychiatry OPD in Asia was started in 1933 by Dr. Girindra Sekhar Bose. Sir Kedar Nath Das maternity hospital came up in 1935. A separate Cardiology department was started in the year 1939. This was also first of its kind in the country. By 1941, the college took the shape of a renowned institution in the country. Its faculty, facilities and students were enviable assets for any institution of contemporary India. On 12th May, 1948 the college was renamed after its founder and since then it is known as R. G. Kar Medical College & Hospital. The Government of West Bengal took over the college on 12th May, 1958.




Reports

  • The monthly report submitted to West Bengal Pollution Control Board for the month of June 2017. Click here to view

  • The monthly report submitted to West Bengal Pollution Control Board for the month of May 2017.Click here to view

  •  The monthly report submitted to West Bengal Pollution Control Board for the month of December'16 to March'17. Click here to view

  • The monthly report submitted to West Bengal Pollution Control Board for the month of April 2017. Click here to view

© Copyrights Reserved [R G Kar Medical College and Hospital 2015-16]
Developed and maintained by Pro Media Art